Monday 28 February 2011

Men are swayed more by fear than by reverence

 Sea Devil (Doctor Who)

"Coulrophobia is an abnormal, exaggerated, or irrational fear of clowns"

Something that I suffer from. I absolutely shake just at the thought of the floppy-footed, red nosed, fake, evil things.

Why do we fear things?

Survival mechanism. Our autonomic nervous system controls our fight or flight response. In the wild an animal has to stay alert to potential danger so when it detects something it kind of screens the sensory input through an interpretive process to determine if it’s a danger. We don’t live in the natural world and our brains just don’t know that some of the things we fear aren't harmful. That is why fears and phobias are prevelent and so diverse in our society. From my fear of clowns and cotton wool to somebody's fear of spiders, the dark, or a fear of having phobias.

Fear can stop you doing things. Atychiphobia is the fear of failiure, which for me in a romantic sense goes hand in hand with the fear of rejection. I did ask someone out a while ago as you will have probably guessed from previous posts, she said no. Yes, it hurt and kind of still does but that's life. She's a beautiful, fun, caring person but I guess she doesn't rate me very highly. Understandable? Yeah! But the reaslisation of those fears does actually change your behaviour. Not in the way I behave when I'm with people that I know understand me, but, with people that have the power to make me feel that way again, more guarded if you will.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment